Monday, April 21, 2008

Put Your Refund to Good Use

Though without fail I always wait until April 13th or 14th to do my taxes, I have plans for my refund by the first of the year. Usually, they have to do with a backed-up credit card or a pair of boots I've been drooling over.


But this year, I've decided on something green. Depending on how well I clean up, I might finally invest in that Energy Star-rated dishwasher I've been fantasizing about and never have to hand-wash a plate again, while saving as much as 5,000 gallons of water a year. If I can't afford my new dishwasher, I might try tucking away my return in a greener mutual fund, keeping me cushioned for the future and supporting socially and environmentally responsible businesses. "Mutual Interest: Finding Your Way to a Greener Retirement" lists some great options. Or maybe I'll prepare the apartment for Manhattan's scorching summer by installing a ceiling fan that will use a tenth of the energy my air conditioner uses.

Who am I kidding? I'll probably blow the whole mess on a new organic cotton wardrobe. In any case, this year's gift from the government is going toward making me a bit greener.

No comments:

Search